Need traffic analysis tools

I've got a router at another location of my company that been having some unexplained activity that I've been asked to investigate. The router in question is their border router to their ISP. Throughout the night, traffic is pretty much nil except for a period every single night from about 4am to 5am, when the inbound traffic suddenly goes to about 80% of their bandwidth. This is according to the ISP provided stats page which is run on the serial port on the ISP's side.

I don't really have many formal tools to handle situations like this. Usually, I use gathered statistics, ip accounting, and debugging when things like this occur in the middle of the day when I'm at my desk.

What can I use to find out what's going on?

Thanks!

Reply to
srp336
Loading thread data ...

NetFlow either with or without a tool like nTop.

Reply to
Dan Daniels

On 26.08.2005 17:33 snipped-for-privacy@getcoactive.com wrote

Connect a Linux box to the switch where the ethernet interface of the router is connected to, SPAN [0] it to the Linux interface and run ntopd [2] on this interface.

Arnold [0]

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.