need a little rip help

I'm getting ready to recertify for CCNA for a job I might be getting and I'm kinda confused on something. This is all in a router sim, so that may be why it's not working. Anyways I setup this diagram to practice routing protocols. i enabled rip on all of the routers and told it which networks to advertise. but for some reason WS4 can't ping WS3 w/o having a static route setup on rtr-central. from ws4, i can ping all the way up to the serial interface on the right hand side of rtr-central. the other serial int on the router drops it. both links are up/up so im not sure. like i said making a static route on rtr-central to 10.100.30.0 solves the problem, but i'm not exactly sure why.

so if anyone can point me in the right direction id appreciate it

thanks

visio diagram

formatting link

Reply to
bdizzle
Loading thread data ...

Kinda hard to help as you havn't provided any config or route info. Are we supposed to guess from the diagram what you have configured?

Start with a 'sh ip route' from all routers.

Chris.

Reply to
chris

sorry about that. the reason I didn't post any config info is because I figured the problem was because of me not fully understanding the login behind how routing protocols work. I thought the answerr would be something along the lines of rip works ok, except under certain conditions; and my diagram met those conditions. I'm at work now, but when I get home I'll do a sh ip ro from all of the routers.

thanks

Reply to
bdizzle

Perhaps this is where your confusion is. When configuring RIP, you don't tell it which networks to advertise, you tell it which networks to send/receive advertisements on. I.e.

router rip network 192.168.1.0

doesn't mean "advertise 192.168.1.0/24", it means "send and receive advertisements through interfaces connected to 192.168.1.0/24".

This is an annoying inconsistency between Cisco's configuration language for different protocols. When configuring BGP, the network statement

*does* tell it what to advertise.
Reply to
Barry Margolin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.