multimode and single mode fiber cables

We have two single mode gbic between 2 buildings. Does it absolutely require single mode fiber cables or would multimode (orange) work?

Reply to
tony
Loading thread data ...

If it is a "single mode gbic" then it is not going to be 1000Base-SX as -SX is not supported on single mode.

If you are going "between 2 buildings" then the distance might not be all that far -- not far enough to require -SZ or wave division, both of which require single mode.

You might, then just happen to be using -LX -- and LX *is* supported on both single mode and multimode; for single mode, the maximum segment length is 550 m -- though for more than 300 m it needs a mode-conditioning cable to launch the light closer to the centre of the fibre.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Reply to
tony

If they're SX then you're going to have to use MM fibre.

Chris.

Reply to
chris

I agree:-

formatting link
CISCO 1000BASE-SX GBIC

The Cisco 1000BASE-SX GBIC (WS-G5484) operates on ordinary multimode fiber (MMF) optic link spans up to 1815 feet (550 m) long.

SX GBICS are Multimode.

Cable colour is NO indication of specification.

MM 62.5/125 50/125

SM 9/125 [sometimes 8 or 8.5 instead of 9]

These figures are usually prnted on the cable every 1 or 2 metres. They refer to the core Inner/Outer diameter in micro-metres.

You need to make sure that your patch leads and cable are all of the same type. (i.e. all 50 or all 62.5) for any one run.

Reply to
Bod43

Oops , I am sorry the GBICs are actually LX gbics part number

WS-G5486

Would That require single mode fiber cables (yellow)?

formatting link

Reply to
tony

No. See for example table 3 of

formatting link
and be sure to read about the mode conditioning cable there if your distances is 300m to 550m . (If it is more than 550m, you need single mode.)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.