Multicast on LAN

I have a Cisco 4510 set up as my core switch. It has several vlans for several networks. I have Catalyst 3550's in the wiring closets were all my end users are connected. I have approxametly 300 endusers. I want to set up multicast accross the network. Any quick and dirty set ups? Thanks

Reply to
jmeyer
Loading thread data ...

Just turn on "ip multicast-routing", and your multicast will go between VLAN interfaces. If you want to go more advanced, look for "CGMP" and "IP PIM". There is not that much to configure for a multicast.

Good luck,

Mike

------ Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones

formatting link

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

enable ip multicast routing and then apply "ip pim sparse" on the vlan interfaces which need to take part in mrouting.

Reply to
BernieM

Sounds too easy. Would I need a Rendezvous Point on the core? Should I enable CGMP and IGMP on all switches?

Reply to
jmeyer

If you want to use only Source Specific Multicast, you will not need an Rendezvous Point. Otherwise you configure one and BSR on all routers.

If your switch offers IGMP snooping: Enable it on the switch.

If your switch does not offer IGMP snooping, check for CGMP and enable it on the switch and all routers connected to this switch.

If your switch does offer neighter IGMP snooping nor CGMP, mark it red and consider traffic limitations for multicast on the connecting routers.

Reply to
Lutz Donnerhacke

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.