ME 3400 + RADIUS

Hi, on our 3400 switches I cannot get the RADIUS backup method to work.

What happens is, if no network cable is connected to the switch on bootup I never get a login prompt appear, only when the switch is reboot with at least one port active will it show me a login prompt. I can login fine via RADIUS when its configured, but if the RADIUS server is unreachable it will keep trying and trying and never allow me to use the enable password to login, which i what I have set.

This could cause to be an issue if I ever needed a technician onsite to login via a console cable if the network was down.

Here is what I have configured. (Also should note that this happens on all our 3400's 12 port).

enable secret *password*

aaa new-model aaa authentication login default group radius enable aaa authentication enable default group radius enable aaa authorization console aaa authorization exec default group radius if-authenticated aaa accounting exec default start-stop group radius aaa accounting network default start-stop group radius aaa accounting connection default start-stop group radius aaa accounting system default start-stop group radius

radius-server host xx auth-port 1812 acct-port 1813 radius-server retransmit 3 radius-server key *psk*

line con 0 exec-timeout 20 0

Flamer.

Reply to
die.spam
Loading thread data ...

Try adding: aaa accounting suppress null-username

It could be that you can't login because the device can't send an accounting packet to the radius server.

Also be aware that it will take at least 15 seconds before you will see a login prompt because it will take that long for the switch to determine that the server is down (5 second timeout, times 3 retries).

Try adding "ip radius source-interface vlan xx" where "xx" is management interface.

Reply to
Thrill5

thanks for that, it looks like the radius source interface command fixed the problem.

Maybe there is a bug with the 3400 12 port series in which a vlan interface will always stay even with no network connections.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
die.spam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.