Making V.35 F/F crossover null modem

Seeking instructions on making a "telco emulator" to connect two routers via standard V.35 cables. I have crossover cables for Cisco routers, but cannot connect non-cisco routers except via their ethernet/token ring ports.

To connect a cisco router to a non-cisco router, I can get (I think) a DCE cable for cisco to female V.35, but before I buy a bunch of them I want to explore other options that would allow connecting two non-cisco routers to each other.

I believe I can get "normal" V.35 cables for all my routers. Someone suggested an X.21 crossover, but I don't know if I can get (at a reasonable cost) X.21 cables for IBM 2210/Proteon, portmaster IRX, 3Com superstack. I have and can probably get more circuit boards with two V.35 female connectors (part of a DSU).

I found this web page

formatting link
for making a crossover cable, assuming one of the devices generates a clock signal, however I believe older cisco routers can't create a clock signal (some 3000s and older), so I presume some/many non-cisco routers do not either, which would preclude making or buying a direct crossover cable between them.

What I am looking for is specs on the wave shape and voltage for the clock signal soI can make a clock for the above crossover. Better: a complete circuit diagram I could assemble. Best, a low cost clock generator assembled. I was an electronics hobbiest before personal computers.

All store listings for crossover or null modem V.35 cables I could find started around $100 with shipping and I doubt any of them generate a clock, if there were a device that generated a clock, I'm guessing it would be several hundred per cable.

I couldn't decide if this belonged here or on alt.cisco.certification, I opted for here because it seemed too advanced, but I'll accept feedback if I am wrong, I'm still a newbie at usenet.

Reply to
sqrfolkdnc
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.