MAC: 00-00-00-00-00-00

What is going on, My Vista home ultimate HP dv9000z notebook is sending LAN a MAC: 00-00-00-00-00-00, I tested it with a fluke Lanmeter and verified that it is as it appears. When I used ARP, I am also showing a print server as having the same MAC:00-00-00-00-00-00. What is going on with this? Can any one give me some insite as to what is happening??

Reply to
Howard Huntley
Loading thread data ...

The only usage of 00-00-00-00-00-00 that comes to mind is Gratuitous ARPs.

Upon receiving a lease on an IP address, a Windows host sends three Gratuitous ARP "Requests".

The host uses it's own addresses as the source addresses, and it's own IP address as the destination address, but a target MAC address of

00:00:00:00:00:00.

Wouldn't think you would end up with an ARP entry based on a destination MAC though.

Best Regards, News Reader

Reply to
News Reader

If you try to reach an IP address that does not exist on your network, Windows shows this IP address to have MAC address 00-00-00-00-00-00 in your ARP table. It means that the host did not respond to the initial ARP request. Try it: PING an IP address in your subnet that does not exist and then type "arp -a" at a command prompt. You will see it. The type category will probably show as invalid.

----- Scott Perry Indianapolis, IN

-----

Reply to
Scott Perry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.