Laptop NIC / vlan tagging / What's everybody use?

I'm looking at nic's that support 802.1q for some xp laptops. Pickings are pretty slim for non-wireless and reviews are mixed. Steve

Reply to
Aleman
Loading thread data ...

802.1q support (at least in most cases) only depends on NIC's drivers. I don't use Windows, but I think that most of Windows NIC's drivers should support 802.1q.
Reply to
Sławomir Kawa

Reply to
Thrill5

Maybe he want to configure router on the stick on his laptop/pc... don't know what about Windows but with linux you can configure it with 5-10 commands from cli. Most of linux nic's drivers are already patched to support 802.1q.

Reply to
Sławomir Kawa

I work in a substation / comm tower environment, 3750 and 2900 switches, I'm running from site to site in the field. The core vlans are vrf routed but there are dozens of different vlans I need to access at different times. We also have issues with FERC / NERC CIP regulations that limit what we can do.

I picked up a Netgear GA511 cardbus adapter. Most online info didn't mention 802.x capabilities (neither does the box, just received it today) but found the manual online and looks like it will work. Steve

Reply to
Aleman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.