marwooj
Loading thread data ...

suppose to be 1024 Kbps = 1024*1024 bps

Reply to
asj

Reply to
marwooj

Kbps / kbps, Mbps, Gbps

Definition: One kilobit per second (Kbps) equals 1000 bits per second (bps). Kbps is also written as "kbps" that carries the same meaning. Likewise, one megabit per second (Mbps) equals one million bps and one Gigabit equals one billion bps.

Reply to
Merv

Nope - for transmission rates K is 1 000, M is 1 000 000 and G is 1 000

000 000. This is an occasion when Wikipedia gets it right:

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

Reply to
marwooj

Yes.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

IIRC this at one time appeared to confuse an engineer at Cisco with the result that the PA-4T which was expected to drive

4 x E1s at 2.048Mbps each was in fact limited to 8Mbps in total.

The PA-4T+ fixed it (again IIRC).

Reply to
anybody43

Reply to
marwooj

Turns out that's wrong with respect to KB, MB and GB - that is it's strictly correct for those who want to use SI prefixes consistently but doesn't reflect what happens in the real world!

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

Except that an E1 2.048Mbps link is commonly referred to as 2Mbps, which it's not - that's just an approximation. It's not 2*1024*1024Mbps either!

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

It would be helpful if

formatting link
the norm so there wasn't any question in what was meant.

Reply to
Rod Dorman

That is good. Thanks. People will laugh though, I certainly did when trying to pronounce them, No "April 1" dates anywhere?

Very nuch needed.

Reply to
anybody43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.