ISDN in the US

Hi there.

I am trying to set up a ISDN connection to a site in California from Denmark using a Cisco 1721 with a BRI interface on the California site.

I am having a little trouble getting the connection up and running. I think it can have something to do with the SPID numbers. Is there any way to check wether I am using the correct numbers?

I have typed the numbers in like this: ISDN SPID1 1111234567890101 1234567890

Where the the 111 os the area code and the 123456789 os the local number and the 0101 is (as I understand it the SPID). Is this setup correct?

When I tries to connect the router from the Denmark office I get a "call rejected" message on the "debug isdn q931"

Reply to
Martin Kiefer
Loading thread data ...

The US only has ten digit phone numbers. You have it listed as 13 digits? So, the SPID should be 10 digits (inluding areacode) and then 0101 on the end to fully form the SPID.

You should also confirm that the router has registered its SPIDS with the switch with a 'show isdn status' for the California site.

The US also uses U interface ISDN, make sure that the interface WIC is a U type and not an S/T type. Its also almost all NI1 for switch type here as well.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

"Doug McIntyre" skrev i en meddelelse news:428ec147$0$13866$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.geeks.org...

Hi Doug, thank you for your reply.

I think that was just me typing in to many numbers. The number looks like this:

Should the line still looks something like this:

90912312340101 1231234

When i do the isdn autodetect i does fail on detecting the SPID automatically. Does the support for this depends on the provider?

I will try have a look at isdn status. Unfortunately the modem that was attached to the router has been removed yesterday. And will properly not be up again until monday. And on top of this I am trying to configure this from Denmark, not easy with a timediffrence of 9 hours...

Thank you for mentioning this. Yes it is a WIC card with the U type.

Reply to
Martin Kiefer

I've never really had good luck with auto-SPID detection on the providers I've used (Qwest, Sprint, McLeod). I've never really determined if it was the gear or the provider not providing something that was needed.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

"Doug McIntyre" skrev i en meddelelse news:428f3ec6$0$55444$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.geeks.org...

I did a auto detection on a ISDN router in Ontario Canada with no problems. But id does not seems to work in Ontario california :-/

Reply to
Martin Kiefer

That is typical, but not 100%. You really need to ask the telco what SPIDs are assigned to the circuit. In the real world, I've also seen "0000" instead of "0101" and SPIDs with NO relation to the local directory number (the second string of digits, which is optional, but usually the first thing the Cisco TAC adds when you call for help).

You should also confirm (using "show IDSN status") that the line is up at the physical layer. You may not be getting up enough to even care about the SPID(s). If the problem is not obvious from the "show isdn stat" output, you could also post a trace of "debug isdn q921" and "debug isdn q931" while cycling the interface (shut, wait one minute, then no shut) and while receiving a call.

Other common problems include mismatched line specs (64K,

56K data, 56K DoV), calling ISDN not configured to support long distance/international calls, thinking that "clear int BRIx" actually clears a hung interface (do a shut/no shut with enough time for the shut to do its thing), telco screwups (line misconfigured, etc), etc. There are also many configuration errors which will result in rejecting an incoming call, such as using "backup interface" on the called router, mismatched dialer pool numbers, and expecting a shut down interface to answer the phone.

Good luck and good hunting!

Reply to
Vincent C Jones

"Vincent C Jones" skrev i en meddelelse news:d6oqhv$gto$ snipped-for-privacy@X31.networkingunlimited.com...

I have been thinking about that too. That I might have to give the telco a call to confirm the SPID.

I have done the q931 and q921 and it gives me a "call rejected" That is why I think it has something to do with the SPIDs. That the router might be presenting another number than I am expecting.

The line has been configured for 56K. And the configurations is more or less a cope of a configuration I have been using with no problems other various other places in both the US and Canada.

Reply to
Martin Kiefer

Many installers will also write the SPID numbers on the outlet box when they install the ISDN line. So you may be able to confirm the SPID's with a call to an on-site person.

The router you are calling in California gave you a "call rejected"? You need to look at the ISDN status and debugs at the California end, that is where the problem is most likely to be since you are able to connect elsewhere from your end.

Reply to
Vincent C Jones

just got the line up and running. The sh isdn status gave me the hint to what was wrong. It came up with a SPID not valid. And changing the values a few times ended up in getting it right.

Thank you for helping out Doug and Vincent!

Reply to
Martin Kiefer

Can you send the EXACT debug message?

Also, do you have an "isdn answer" set?

Finally: Are you using dialer string, dialer map, or dialer profile? Are you using any authentication, or just caller-id based authentication?

All of tehse can play in to call rejection. Complete details would be useful. Knowing the exact numbers is most useful. If you need to mask, do a global repalce consistently throughout the config and debug.

Reply to
Phillip Remaker

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.