Ip unnumbered loopback0

As only sometime there are devices connected to Ethernet0 of my router, that interface is often down. I have a VPN built using LAN behind router but I can not use any service available on the router using that interface. So I can not connect through the tunnel to the router or use SNMP over the tunnel.

I specified loopback0 with the address of the Etrhernet and I gave the command "ip unnumbered loopback0" to the ethernet. This was the response

Point-to-point (non-multi-access) interfaces only

and I can not see the above statement in the ethernet 0 section.

Is it correct? Will NAT process work correctly for workstation behind the router?

Thanks,

Alex.

Reply to
AM
Loading thread data ...

ip unnumbered command can only be used for point to point link (e.g. serial) Ethernet is NOT one of them, as it is a multiaccess media therefore it cannot borrow the address from loopback

Reply to
Cen

So how to have ethernet0's address available even if Ethernet0 is down? Or there are no possibilities to do that?

Alex.

Reply to
AM

You could try using 'no keepalive' under the E0 interface. The interface will always stay up even if the cable is disconnected.

Regards,

Nick Ersdown Your real-time, not too serious, view of the latest global IT security issues.

formatting link

Reply to
Nick Ersdown

Except then any other devices on the Ethernet will be unable to reach the router using the E0 IP address because for them it is still local. Ditto for any devices which reach that Ethernet to get to the router via any other routers on that Ethernet.

A far better solution for network management is to configure the services which must remain up to use the Loopback IP address so that it can be reached as long as any path remains to the router. For local devices which are too dumb to use a default gateway to get to the service, proxy ARP is your friend.

Good luck and have fun!

Reply to
Vincent C Jones

I must add one more subnet for each VPN tunnel I built :(

Alex.

Reply to
AM

This tip doesn't work

Alex.

Reply to
AM

In article , AM wrote: :Vincent C Jones wrote: :> Except then any other devices on the Ethernet will be unable to :> reach the router using the E0 IP address because for them it is :> still local. Ditto for any devices which reach that Ethernet to :> get to the router via any other routers on that Ethernet.

:I must add one more subnet for each VPN tunnel I built :(

By "tunnel" do you mean "peer" or "security association" ?

All the security associations going to a given peer could be routed through a common IP address, the route to which being was what was varying.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

IPsec SA, that where I specify which traffic coming from and going to must be encrypted. I must add also traffic coming from my LAN to the loopback interface. And I have 30... humpf... Just to standardize all connections, otherwise I need only one chabge.

Alex.

Reply to
AM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.