ip ospf priority

With OSPF, the default priority on an interface is '1'. If you change it to '0', it cannot become a DR or BDR. The highest number you can assign to it is 255. If there is a priority tie, the router IDs are used to break the tie.

The book left something a little unclear. When an election occurs, does the lowest priority or the highest priority win the election?

I think it is the highest priority. Can someone confirm or deny that for me?

Regards,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson
Loading thread data ...

Much later in the chapter I read, they told me that the higher one is the winner. I guess that confims my suspicion.

Another question, I do have. Does the router automatically assign OSPF cost based upon the speed on the interface or do you have to program either the priority or the bandwidth on the interface?

Regards,

Fred

10 Nov 2005 11:13:33 -0500, Fred Atk> With OSPF, the default priority on an interface is '1'. If
Reply to
Fred Atkinson

The numerically highest DR priority wins

Thus ip opsf priority 5 wins over ip ospf priority 2

Reply to
Merv

Cost [1] This is an OSPF metric. Cost is calculated with this formula:

• 10^8 / bandwidth (in bits per second [bps])

In the formula, bandwidth refers to the bandwidth of the interface in bps, and 10^8 is the reference bandwidth.

In the example, the bandwidth of Ethernet0 is 10 Mbps, which is equal to 10^7. The formula yields 10^8 / 10^7, equaling a cost of 10.

Use the ip ospf cost interface cost interface configuration command to explicitly specify the cost on an interface.

Q. How does OSPF calculate its metric or cost? [2]

A. OSPF uses a reference bandwidth of 100 Mbps for cost calculation. The formula to calculate the cost is reference bandwidth divided by interface bandwidth. For example, in the case of Ethernet, it is

100 Mbps / 10 Mbps = 10.

Note: If ip ospf cost cost is used on the interface, it overrides this formulated cost.

Sources:

[1]
formatting link
[2]
formatting link
Reply to
Everton

Thanks,

But my *real* question was, 'Does OPSF calculate it based on the bandwidth or does it require the adminstrator to assign the value he calculates manually?'.

You did ultimately answer it. And thanks.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.