Intepreting Cisco Switch and Router Logs - please help

I am brand new to log analysis and I came across some Cisco Switch and Rout er logs (that require me to analyse them). The logs contain 4 fields;the fi rst three were easy to fathom (Datetime, error severity, source IP) but the fourth is not. I have scoured the internet looking for explanation but hav e been unable to get any. Could somebody please explain what the following means, for example:

2464: 006077: Dec 28 22:35:12: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/33, changed state to up What do the numbers (2464, 006077) mean ? What does 'LINK-3-UPDOWN' mean ? What does 'changed state to up' mean ?

And

18312: 5w4d: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/12, changed state to d own Many thanks in advance.
Reply to
daniel.kamunge
Loading thread data ...

The numbers are an artefact of your logging system, though looking at the second line the second field looks like some kind of timestamp - uptime? time since logging started?

'LINK-3-UPDOWN' is a standard message tag in the style that Cisco put on (almost) all their log messages - Google is your friend.

If you don't know what 'up' and 'down' mean with regard to a switch interface then you probably need more training than we can offer you here.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.