Inexpensive load balancing solution

I'm developing a site which has a high availabilty requirement. I'm interested in load balancing a couple of apache/tomcat web servers. I was thinking about purchasing a couple of used Cisco Local Director (for $300 each) and wire for failover but not sure how reliable (since the technology is a few years old) and how easy it would be to set up for a fairly technical sysadmin with no Cisco experience.

I am interested in any advice on the best (least complicated, low cost) approach to solving this issue. My preference is an appliance with no moving parts to fail but with a limited budget not sure if its possible. The used Cisco LD's was just an idea, would consider any solution (under $1000).

Thanks in advance,

Brad

bradclark snipped-for-privacy@yahooooooooo.com

Reply to
Brad
Loading thread data ...

My experience is LDs are reliable and have a very simple set of commands so configurations are easy.

Reply to
bits

LD's are great, reliable and easy to use. Will send you a config if you need it but pretty simple.

G
Reply to
news

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.