increasing ping times

Hello- I have an interesting issue regarding increasing ping times either by dns name or by ip. When pinging the Exchange server or otherwise over a site to site vpn (dsl)... The ping times initially are 120ms then increase by approx 100ms easch ping afterward until I stop the Ping -t. Usually at 1000 ms. Any one have a theory? The tracert is fine: 120ms to the destination.

I am asking b/c all of a sudden at this remote site Exchange is moving very sluggishly (outlook rather). IT Receives okay, but sending is a nightmare. I am thinking DNS issues and duplicate ip issues, b/c internet access out of the remote site (non vpn) is fine, Mapped drives are fine.

Back to the question.. Any theories other than mine out there or agreements? Can't test til Monday.

Thanks! snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
william
Loading thread data ...

Couple of things. If you can ping by IP and by DNS and it shows the same symptom, you can pretty much rule out name resolution issues. I'm thinking someone is artificially rate limiting your ICMPs. Perhaps you are using tracert from the router or a Unix box? It uses udp so it may not be affected like ICMP pings. [snip]

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.