IGRP EIGRP multicast addresses

I've found some possibly conflicting information. I'm hoping someone here can clear this up.

I've discovered that the multicast address 224.0.0.10 is apparently used both for IGRP and EIGRP. Is that correct? I was never aware of this.

If this is wrong, can you please tell me which multicast addresses that IGRP and EIGRP actually use?

Reagards,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson
Loading thread data ...

EIGRP packet delivery is handled using Reliable Transport Protocol (RTP) which ensures delivery in order using Reliable Multicast on the multicast address 224.0.0.10. EIGRP uses IP protocol number 88.

IGRP uses IP directly, using protocol number 9

EIGRP is available on Cisco routers only. Sometimes the E in EIGRP get lost so if you read IGRP and multicast address 224.0.0.10 in the same context EIGRP is meant.

I recommend not to use IGRP. Use EIGRP instead if possible.

HTH

Andre

Reply to
Andre Wisniewski

Andre,

Understand. But I am teaching a bunch of students. I have to tell them about it.

So if I understand you correctly, they both use the same mulicast address. EIGRP sends it via RTP but IGRP sends it via IP is the difference here.

Have I interpreted what you said right?

Regards,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.