how to make sure network supports IGMP snooping.

A video surveillance system is being installed and it requires IGMP snooping support on the network. My boss wants me to make sure that our network will support it. I know that most of the switches I manage support it, but I'm not so sure IGMP will work over the ATM wan. The tech support person for the company that provides our WAN has assured me that it will work, but he doesn't seem very sure. Is there any software or tool that I can use to test igmp snooping? I need to be able to join a session on one port and then check other ports on my switches to make sure they are not receiving the multicast too. I would appreciate any advice that can be offered. Also, if the WAN does not support IGMP snooping, is there are manual method of doing this?

Thanks NH

Reply to
Ned
Loading thread data ...

Try this.

You need multicast routing to be enabled in your network, PIM enabled on appropriate interfaces and then a sparse or dense mode configuration in addition to IGMP.

Assuming you have all that setup - this will test it.

Reply to
Sauron

Hi Sauron

I had a quick look at the website and the program looks like it will be helpful. I did quite a few searches and could not come up with anything like this. Thanks very much!!!

Saur> Try this.

Reply to
Ned

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.