Help with used Cisco Routers

Hello,

I'm in telecom. A customer of mine just went out of business, and as partial payment to me they gave me a bunch of equipment, including approximately 10 Cisco routers. There is one 2600 series and several 1700 series. Their data person has long since been gone from their company, so the routers came with no passwords.

What are my options? Will people purchase them used like this? Can the units be defaulted, for possible re-sale to our customers who need data equipment?

Thanks for any help.

JM

Reply to
JM
Loading thread data ...

On 17.09.2005 21:30 JM wrote

yes

yes. Go to Cisco wenbsite and search for "password recovery 2600" resp. ""password recovery 1700"

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

In article , JM wrote: :I'm in telecom. A customer of mine just went out of business, and as :partial payment to me they gave me a bunch of equipment, including :approximately 10 Cisco routers. There is one 2600 series and several 1700 :series. Their data person has long since been gone from their company, so :the routers came with no passwords.

:What are my options? Will people purchase them used like this?

In practice, Yes.

: Can the :units be defaulted, for possible re-sale to our customers who need data :equipment?

Yes. You can search Cisco's site for keywords such as 2600 password recovery [The procedure is pretty much the same for the 1700.]

There is an issue to be aware of, and that is the right to use IOS (the software) is officially not transferable (except in cases having to do with buying or merging the business itself.) Officially your customers would have to "relicense" the software.

There are some complications about whether you yourself (now the legitimate owner of the equipment) are allowed to pass the copy of IOS on to the eventual purchasers; you aren't really allowed to, but if you don't then the purchasers could end up having to buy IOS as well as relicensing it, whereas they might be able to simply relicense if you do pass on the software.

I would suggest you communicate with Cisco on the matter. Cisco does show -some- flexibility in these situations. It might make a difference if you have a piece of paper formally transfering ownership of the equipment to you.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.