Help -> Cisco BGP as-path prepend not working

Any / all help / suggestions greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to do something that I assume is a very standard basic setup with BGP. Yet something is not working.

I have 2 upstream 100Meg ethernet connections. I am contracted for 20 meg on one connection, and 50 meg on the other. Thus I'd like most of my traffic to come in the connection that I have commited to purchase at least 50 meg on.

With a normal / minimal bgp setup I get approx 25 meg on each connection.

So I thought I'd use the as-path prepend command to prepend the 20meg commit connection to swing some of that traffic to the other connection.

I've tried prepending with 1 as 3, 7 and even 10 copies of our as number. Also made sure I did "clear ip bgp b.b.b.b soft" on the bgp peers

Yet, I still get approx 25 meg coming in to us on both connections. It looks like my prepends are not taking affect at all.

Checking a few of the online looking glass sites, I do see my prepends showing up in the as list.

I see similar questions being asked over the years Lots of exmples online, even several text-book examples of doing this, yet it does not seem to be working for me.

This is my current BGP setup:

router bgp xxxxx no synchronization bgp log-neighbor-changes network a.a.a.a mask 255.255.240.0 network a.a.a.a mask 255.255.240.0 neighbor b.b.b.b remote-as 6539 neighbor b.b.b.b description GT neighbor b.b.b.b route-map prepend_path out neighbor b.b.b.b filter-list 1 out neighbor a.a.a.a remote-as 701 neighbor a.a.a.a description UUNet neighbor a.a.a.a filter-list 1 out no auto-summary

ip as-path access-list 1 permit ^$

route-map prepend_path permit 10 set as-path prepend xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx

Like I said above, if anybody has any comments or suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate hearing them.

Reply to
BG
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.