Graceful failover

Hi all, I have a question regarding graceful shutdown in load balancing web servers. When a real server is gracefully taken out of service, the active sessions are allowed to complete and no new sessions are directed to the RS. I had always assumed that it meant session as in a user's web browsing session, that the user will be allowed to continue to access the same web server until he finishes his web browsing session, however long that may take. But I've been informed that graceful shutdown only allows the current layer 3 session to finish and that the next HTTP Get request constitutes another session and hence will be redirected to another available RS. So which is it?

Thanks for the help

Reply to
uofitorn
Loading thread data ...

When you take a server out of service (on the LB), the load-balancer should not pass any more traffic to it, to my knowledge. The session to the server should break; the client would have to issue a new GET request which will be directed to the next server based on the load-balancing rule.

Reply to
aunraza

Answer B. When you take the server out of service, any existing open HTTP requests will finish. Any new TCP sessions will be directed to the remaining servers. A session is a TCP session, not a browser session.

Scott

Reply to
thrill5

session.

Thank you both.

Reply to
uofitorn

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.