FWSM - STP

Does anyone knows if i can disable STP on the vlan connecting router and FWSM module in a 65xx ? It seems that spanning-tree is enable by default on this vlan and we are trying to minimize the number of STP instances on our router.

Thanks for any help of clarification

Wim Holemans Network Service University of Antwerp

Reply to
Wim Holemans
Loading thread data ...

You can do it with;

s1(config)#no spanning-tree vlan ? WORD vlan range, example: 1,3-5,7,9-11

/Morten

Reply to
Morten Skriver

Thanks for the reply but I didn't formulate my question in the right way, i think : i know you can disable STP's (and i know how), but what i really wanted to know was, is STP is needed on these interconnecting vlans or not ? If there is a specific reason why STP should stay on on this vlans ? I know the connection between router en FWSM is a 6 Gig etherchannel, but i can't find note in the doc if STP should be on/off on this vlan.

Wim Holemans

Morten Skriver wrote:

Reply to
Wim Holemans

That depends of your topology in the vlan where you connect the router (MSFC of the 6500) and you firewall. If you only router connected to the firewall in the chassis as the firewall and you prune the vlan from every other trunkport on the switch. The you can disable spanning-tree.

If there is a chance that you can create a ethernet loop in the vlan, you can't disable spanning-tree. The firewall module doesn't use spanning-tree for anything.

/Morten

Reply to
Morten Skriver

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.