Frame-relay map and inverse-arp

Hi Group,

Under Configuring Static Address Mapping in

formatting link
says, "A static map links a specified next-hop protocol address to a specified DLCI. Static mapping removes the need for Inverse ARP requests; when you supply a static map, Inverse ARP is automatically disabled for the specified protocol on the specified DLCI."

However, I lab this up and it does not seem to be the case. Can anyone clarify why? I thought it's the IOS version but I am using

Thanks in advance.

Al

I used a hub and spoke topology. Here's my relevant configurations.

Hub

interface Serial0 ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 encapsulation frame-relay no fair-queue

Spoke1 interface Serial0 ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0 encapsulation frame-relay no fair-queue frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.3 201

Spoke2 interface Serial0 ip address 192.168.1.3 255.255.255.0 encapsulation frame-relay no fair-queue frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.2 301

I rebooted Spoke1. Inverse arp to the Hub should be disabled but it isn't as seen below.

spoke1#show frame-relay map Serial0 (up): ip 192.168.1.1 dlci 201(0xC9,0x3090), dynamic, broadcast,, status defined, active Serial0 (up): ip 192.168.1.3 dlci 201(0xC9,0x3090), static, CISCO, status defined, active

I cleared the table and inverse arp disappeared as can be seen below. r1#clear frame-relay inarp r1#show fram r25031#show frame-relay map Serial0 (up): ip 192.168.1.3 dlci 201(0xC9,0x3090), static, CISCO, status defined, active

However, after I rebooted dynamic connection to the hub came back. spoke1#show frame-relay map Serial0 (up): ip 192.168.1.1 dlci 201(0xC9,0x3090), dynamic, broadcast,, status defined, active Serial0 (up): ip 192.168.1.3 dlci 201(0xC9,0x3090), static, CISCO, status defined, active

The same holds to spoke2.

Reply to
allangiganson
Loading thread data ...

You need to tell each interface what its dlci is with the frame-relay interface-dlci command.

Reply to
Brad

sufficiently

formatting link
> It says,

automatically

Reply to
Al

I am using physical interfaces. I thought interface-dlci can only be used with subinterfaces. However, I stand corrected.

Reply to
Al

formatting link
It says,

Reply to
JNCIP#0136

On a second thought Spoke1-Spoke2 PVC seems not to be the case :-) What seems to be the case is that after reboot FR INARP first gets dynamic mapping and then later on gets disabled as it should be. Would You be able to "clear fame-relay inarp" and then wait sufficiently long (~1 hour) for dynamic mapping to reappear? If it doesn't reappear then it is definitely disabled :-) HTH, Cheers Alex

formatting link
It says,

Reply to
JNCIP#0136

Hello again, "frame-relay interface-dlci" command can be used on physical/multipoint interface, but it doesn't change the interface type. The main purpose for this command on phy/mpoint interface is to assign different FR traffic-shaping/class parameters to different DLCIs if there is more than one DLCI. FR switch normally advertises active DLCIs to routers via FR LMI "Status" messages so there should be normally no need to manually configure DLCIs with "frame-relay interface-dlci" command :-) HTH, Cheers Aelx

Reply to
JNCIP#0136

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.