FIrewall - Harrison Ford

So at the start of the movie, Harry sees a hacker break into the system and try to sequentially attack account numbers. Harry then creates an ACL on the 172.16.x.x (private ip) address range to stop the hacker. Now unless the IP is simultaneously assigned as both host address AND the account number this scenario would never work, would it?

Suspend my disbelief!

Reply to
FranticInFresno
Loading thread data ...

I'd guess that using a private IP address in a movie is the equivalent of using a 555-xxxx phone number in a movie.

The account numbers dont matter. Blocking the IP address stops the attack (at least from that IP address).

Reply to
Rod Dorman

ACL's can be set for what ever ( IP Address and/or Ports ) and merely control traffic passing through that device.

Does not matter if the 172.16.x.x is internal, irrelevant because of what the device is doing.

Unless you have the details of the network topology you have no reference to understand what he is doing and an ACL normally consist of more than one entry that is assigned via the access-group command.

Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Network Engineer Directory

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant Website:
formatting link

Reply to
BradReese.Com=A

I've also seen TV shows or movies that had IP addresses with octets greater than 255. Maybe La Femme Nikita or Alias.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

Barry Margolin a écrit :

The Net (with Sandra Bullock) had IP address in the 300s. She also needed to have "at least mainframe level access" to do something. ;-)

Reply to
Francois Labreque

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.