Fibre connection question

Hello,

I have a 10gb x2 fibre sr connector on an F5 and trying to connect it to a 1000 base sx SFP connector on a cisco 3560, there is no connection (no link). Are these incompatable with each other? Im not sure why there is no connection, I thought the recieve/transmit may be round the wrong way but the cable is fixed and cannot swap it round.

Could someone advise on this? Thanks

Reply to
cconnell_1
Loading thread data ...

In general, you should not expect fiber optic transceivers to be able to support different speeds (10GB to 1GB), as the protocols are pretty different, and not designed to be compatible.

There are a few out there that could do things like 1000-Base-SX and

100-Base-FL, but these are the exception.

If you are trying to bring a 10GB out of an F5, you most likely need a cisco switch with a 10GB port on it. The F5's I've worked with let you assign each port to each function, so bring a normal 1GB port out of it to your 3560?

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Ok makes sense its not supported then. It was a temporary solution until we get a 4900 with a 10gb port next week. I will use one of the

1gb ports.
Reply to
cconnell_1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.