Extending the PDH/E1 from PBX to VoIP router

I'm trying to deploy a VoIP infrastructure. To protect our previous investment in the old PBX (an Alcatel 4400) I'm projecting the interconnection between VoIP and the POTS via one or two E1s available in the PBX and one C28xx with dual E1. The problem is that the PBX in one building and the IT stuff (routers, etc) are in another. In the PBX room (managed by people outside my IT "crew") I don't have any conditions to leave the router (air conditioning, rack, space, etc ...). The only connecting I have between the PBX and the data/communication center is via a multi-pair (50 pairs i think) cable of about 150 meters.

I know the physical interfaces of the Cisco VoIP/E1 board are G.703 based and the ones in the PBX too. Is it possible to make the connection using two pairs of the multi-pair cable avoiding the extra cost of some active equipment or passing new specialized cabling? I have heard something about converting the G.703 to balanced 120 ohm (using a Balun transformer) to no one had given me real details/guarantees that it works.

Does anyone have experience in this area? What is the common solution for this problem? (inter-connecting two G.703/E1 interfaces separated by ~150m and with simple low grade multi-pair telephonic cable)

Thanks!

Reply to
PAMRibeiro
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.