EtherChannel Load Balancing - per packet?

I had a question raised to me by another tech when I was explaining the options on load balancing for one of our etherchannel's across two of our switches (3750). He asked me why their is no option for "per packet" load balacing.

I started to research this and did not find any real answers or options on this. Can someone enlighten me on why this is not an option - their must be a downside or I am sure it would have been a feature?

Also, I am refering to a L2 etherchannel between two switches.

Thanks, Amy.

Reply to
amyl
Loading thread data ...

Dan,

Thank you for your reply, but I was asking why per packet load balancing would not work not what the available options were.

Thanks Amy

Dan Daniels wrote:

Reply to
amyl

Arnold,

Thank you - can you cite any examples. I am looking for something concrete I can wrap my mind around.

Thanks Amy

Reply to
amyl

formatting link
EtherChannel balances the traffic load across the links in a channel through the reduction of part of the binary pattern that the addresses in the frame form to a numerical value that selects one of the links in the channel. EtherChannel load balancing can use MAC addresses or IP addresses, source or destination addresses, or both source and destination addresses. The mode applies to all EtherChannels configured on the switch. You configure the load balancing and forwarding method with use of the port-channel load-balance {dst-ip | dst-mac | src-dst-ip | src-dst-mac | src-ip | src-mac} global configuration command.

Reply to
Dan Daniels

On 22.08.2005 14:41 snipped-for-privacy@paxemail.com wrote

With frame/packet load balancing you may run into the problem of re-ordering. Someting layer2 does not cope with.

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.