EIGRP and OSPF

On a spoke and hub network what are the pros and cons.

Network is running OSPF with a migration over to EIGRP.

Any and all responses is greatful.

Reply to
Butch
Loading thread data ...

As in all things networking, the correct answer is "It depends."

It depends on the size of the network, the degree of redundant connectivity, the size and complexity of individual sites, etc. I devote a chapter in my book to the issues, concluding that for large hub and spoke networks (with hundreds of spokes) EIGRP and RIPv2 have major advantages over OSPF for the routing protocol used between the hub and the spokes. On the other hand, if the spokes are simple with only a single link to the hub, OSPF stub routing can work well. And OSPF runs rings around EIGRP when the network is a complex mesh with many redundant paths (try setting up EIGRP on a simple triangle of three routers, each with a link to the other two, so that every router has a feasible successor for each link).

Good luck and have fun!

Reply to
Vincent C Jones

Well first of all EIGRP is a Cisco proprietary rp. OSPF is not exclusive to Cisco. So if you have all Cisco routers then you're good to go for EIGRP.

EIGRP is simple and fast. If you allow the default delay values of all the serial interfaces then it is as simple as can be.

OSPF is relatively more complicated than EIGRP, but that of course depends on the complexity of your network.

My 2 cents is use EIGRP if you can. I been using it for years and have never encountered any routing inconsistencies with a full mesh WAN between 10 locations. I mentioned the default delay values above because I use Multilink interfaces in several places and the default delay value of a mu interface is higher than a ser interface which puts your composite metric higher than a ser composite metric. That is of course easily remedied by specifying a lower delay value in the mu interface config.

Reply to
jsalminen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.