do some cisco switches require "copy run start"

On my CCNA exam, one lab realted to making a setup change on a cisco switch, it did not specify what type. None of the commands I was used to worked on the switch, though eventually I figured out how to do it. But just for fun I tried "copy run start", and it did what one would normally expect on a router.

In my ccna class, they said all switches automatically store all changes in NVRAM.

Are there switches where one must save changes to NVRAM?

Reply to
sqrfolkdnc
Loading thread data ...

In article , sqrfolkdnc wrote: :In my ccna class, they said all switches automatically store all :changes in NVRAM.

That's false.

:Are there switches where one must save changes to NVRAM?

Cat 5000, Cat 6000, Cat 2950/3550/3750, probably others.

Perhaps the class was referring to switches running CatOS; the ones running IOS have the usual IOS semantics (other than for the VLAN database editting mode.)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

sure you should save the Configuration switch# copy run start

M.Ammoura

Reply to
Heart Key

just if the IOS is Cisco , but if the IOS of the switch is Catalist

you dint have to save the configuration

Reply to
Heart Key

Hi,

I have the impression that some (at least) of the low end IOS switches did not need wr m (just to demonstrate that I am a luddite) but however would accept the command even though it did nothing.

wr m is OK until you needs to sit a Cisco exam, then suddenly you need the full text (without online help) of whatever it is that you never use. OOPS!

Also, (just to keep Walter on the straight and narrow) Cat 5000 was CatOS only and definately did not need the configuration saved. Unless my memory is faulty again.

Reply to
anybody43

In article , wrote: :Also, (just to keep Walter on the straight and narrow) :Cat 5000 was CatOS only and definately did not need :the configuration saved. Unless my memory is faulty again.

Cat 5000 supported the RSM and (later) another supervisor. The RSM ran IOS and definitely needed to have the configuration saved.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com a écrit :

Catalyst 1900s did not need "wr m" or "cop ru s"

Yup. CatOS changes are immediate.

Reply to
Francois Labreque

Yes but the IP phone connected to ..... :-)

Reply to
anybody43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.