Default Route

I'm in New Orleans and just got my network back up today after Hurricane Katrina. The location where my 3640 router formerly connected to was under water so my ISP re-routed all these circuits to Atlanta. Now my 3640 is connected to a Juniper Networks router instead of a 7206.

After they configured my interface on their router, I could ping that interface but nothing beyond it. When I ran a traceroute to my router from outside , it stopped at the ISP's router. The ISP network tech directed me to change my default route from: ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Ethernet0/0 to: ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 xx.yy.12.1 1

This solved the problem. Why?

-- Bob Simon remove both "x"s from domain for private replies

Reply to
Bob Simon
Loading thread data ...

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm not running any routing protocol; just using static routes.

-- Bob Simon remove both "x"s from domain for private replies

Reply to
Bob Simon

Cisco does proxy ARP by default, Juniper doesn't.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

I think this need some more explanation:

When you point your routes to an interface the device will ARP for the address. Other devices, such as firewalls, and routers, with Proxy-ARP disabled, will not reply to such requests. Hence if you specify the IP instead, your setup will work.

HTH Martin Bilgrav

Reply to
Martin Bilgrav

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.