console connections

Hi guys,

I am looking for something that would allow me to control 8-10 network devices via the console connection. I heave researched the topic and so far found these two options:

1.) Router with a serial port and the "octopus cable"
Reply to
aleu
Loading thread data ...

If you go with a cisco, the HWIC-8A is supported on the 1841, and HWIC-16A is supported on the 2801. The NM-16A is supported on the 2600 series and the 2811.

Reply to
Thrill5

the

Hi,

I use the following and it has been working a treat for a long time,

cisco 2511 (68030) processor (revision M) with 14336K/2048K bytes of memory.

1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s) 2 Serial network interface(s) 16 terminal line(s) 32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory. 8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

It is a real easy set up and config, you will also require 2 octal cables for the 16 console connection.

if you need the config or anything else i can help you with then just drop a reply

Cheers

Andrew

Reply to
tweety

Thanks Andrew. In the end I think I will be looking into something like console switch. It looks that they are cheaper than a router + octo cable solution.

Regards, AL

Reply to
aleu

Thanks Andrew. In the end I think I will be looking into something like console switch. It looks that they are cheaper than a router + octo cable solution.

Regards, AL

Reply to
aleu

Regards, AL

Reply to
aleu

Reply to
Bartosz Gagat

Another option is to pick up some cheap USB to serial adapters (less than $10 each on e-bay when I bought five) and an obsolete USB1.1 hub, and put to work that old notebook computer which is too wimpy to even run XP. If its new enough to have a USB port, you can load Linux on the box and run an independent "minicom" session for each adapter. Plus you get a bit of security and flexibility for free - ssh rather than telnet, MRTG for monitoring your production gear, wireshark to see what is really going on in the network, etc., etc., and you get multi-user remote access and file sharing by design.

Good luck and have fun!

Reply to
Vincent C Jones

Syslog server is always handy to have.

Reply to
alexd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.