Connection issues, drops off after 2 minutes

Hi all A strange one I am hoping someone may of seen. This only seems to be happening with a Cisco 837. A Speedtouch pro does not present these symptoms. I have a client who has connected their 837 to the ADSL line, it connects gets a line sync and authenticates. After this occurs I connect remotely via telnet. Within a minute the device starts slowing down, where when you type a command it takes a long time for it to present to the screen, then after about another minute I am no longer able to type anything at the console. From the LNS I am now unable to ping the device. After a few more minutes it simply drops off the radius and I no longer see the user online, but the 837 still shows a sync. All the line settings, noise attentuation appear to be OK and as I said the Speedtouch works fine. I have sent another 837 to site with the exact same results. Everything has been isloated from the line Any suggestions would be welcome, I have attached the config. Config ! version 12.3 no service pad service timestamps debug datetime msec localtime service timestamps log datetime msec localtime service password-encryption ! hostname organon0893047686 ! boot-start-marker boot-end-marker ! ! clock summer-time AEDST recurring last Sun Oct 2:00 last Sun Mar 3:00 no aaa new-model ! ! enable secret ! ip subnet-zero ! ip cef vpdn enable ! ! interface Ethernet0 ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 ip nat inside no ip redirects no ip proxy-arp ip policy route-map clear-df no keepalive no cdp enable hold-queue 100 in hold-queue 100 out no shut ! interface ATM0 no ip address no atm ilmi-keepalive dsl operating-mode auto no fair-queue no shut ! interface ATM0.3 point-to-point description Swiftel Internet Network pvc 8/35 encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer dialer pool-member 3 ! ! interface Dialer3 description Swiftel Internet Network ip address negotiated encapsulation ppp dialer pool 3 ip nat outside dialer-group 1 no cdp enable ppp authentication chap callin ppp chap hostname ppp chap password ! ! ip classless ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dial3 ip route 202.154.86.91 255.255.255.255 dial3 ip route 202.154.79.0 255.255.255.248 dial3 ip route 202.154.92.76 255.255.255.252 dial3 ip route 202.154.92.228 255.255.255.255 dial3 no ip http server ! ! ip nat inside source list 99 interface Dialer3 overload ! access-list 1 permit 202.154.79.0 0.0.0.7 access-list 1 permit 202.154.92.76 0.0.0.1 access-list 5 permit any access-list 90 permit 202.154.92.76 access-list 90 permit 202.154.92.77 access-list 90 permit 202.154.92.228 access-list 99 permit 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit no cdp run route-map clear-df permit 10 match ip address 5 set ip df 0 ! snmp-server community RO 90 snmp-server enable traps tty banner motd ^C

YOU DO NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO ACCESS THIS DEVICE

Unauthorized access to this device or the attached networksis prohibited without express written permission all Violators will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of both civil and criminal law. You must cease your access attempt immediately. Your access is being logged.^C ! line con 0 exec-timeout 120 0 password login transport preferred all transport output all stopbits 1 line vty 0 4 exec-timeout 240 0 password login length 0 transport preferred all transport input telnet transport output telnet access-class 1 in ! no scheduler max-task-time ! end

Reply to
scooty
Loading thread data ...

Do you monitor logging while this begins to occur? Quite likely some interesting log entries will appear leading you to a root cause.

If I was a gambling man I would be led to believe you may see positive results by trimming down your MTU on the dialer interface. Try setting the IP MTU to 1452 or even 1400. If you debug icmp and you see MTU errors the MTU size set in your dialer is the root of your problems.

Generally I've seen most MTU problems with GRE due to the encapsulation of the packet.

Reply to
ITBob

There was a recent posting about 837 and vpn problems ,search this newgroup for 837 vpn

also see

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

Tried all of these suggestions, thanks to all those that contributed. Still seeing this problem thou. I tried setting the MTU to as low as

1000 on the Dialler i/f and the ethernet i/f. When I ping using a 1000 byte packet payload it is successfull, but as soon as I try and ping above this it fails and then I can't ping at all. I have tried using pppoe rather than pppoa also. Any other suggestions would be welcome. I ended up installing a Netcomm which works a treat but will still need to install the 837 again at some point in time.
Reply to
scooty

Addition to my last post, just plugged the 837 in at the office and it works fine. I suspect it must have something to do with the equipment located at the Telstra exchange has anyone had similar problems to this before?

Reply to
Scooty

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.