Client Hardware address

Hi all,

we have here several Cisco switches (Catalyst 4000).

Now I want to find out the Client Hardware adresses (MAC) via snmptget, but I can't find the mib on

formatting link

thanks in advance Richard

Reply to
Richard Gliebe
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

snmpwalk the switch, save the output in a file and grep for a known mac-address.

Regards

Reply to
Nicolaj Kamensek

A fine plan. thought I would have a quick look

.iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifPhysAddress

Particularly on low end platforms e.g. original 4000 SE 1, maybe SE 2, CAT 5000 .... an snmp walk can suck up a lot of CPU for quite a while. Take care.

Reply to
anybody43

I already tried it, but can't locate the client Mac addresses.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Gliebe

Hi,

this mib shows me the local Mac addresses from the switch ports.

[...] IF-MIB::ifDescr.3 = STRING: GigabitEthernet1/2 . . # snmpget -v1 -c public switch-1 .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.6.3 IF-MIB::ifPhysAddress.3 = STRING: 0:15:c6:9d:14:41 . . #show runn inter gi1/2 Building configuration...

Current configuration : 347 bytes ! interface GigabitEthernet1/2 description ps-b206.uclv.net switchport access vlan 227 switchport mode access switchport port-security switchport port-security mac-address sticky switchport port-security mac-address sticky 0040.f47e.70da [...]

I know ;-)

thanks Richard

Reply to
Richard Gliebe

I am not sure what you mean by the "CLient Hardware address" and I forget what a CatOS 4000 looks like (on the inside). The SC0 (IIRC) interface will I think be reported in the MIB.

Reply to
anybody43

Hi,

Client Hardware address = Mac address from a Client networkinterface (Windows/Mac OS-X/Linux Workstation) which are connected on a Port from a Cisco Catalyst 4000 Switch.

What is 'the SCO'?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Gliebe

SC0 (zero) is I think the management interface on CatOS.

Ah! You want the Forwarding Database as it is called in 802.1d.

.iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.dot1dBridge.dot1dTp. dot1dTpFdbTable.dot1dTpFdbEntry.dot1dTpFdbAddress

This should I think be the right thing but for some reason on a Cat 4500 here it doesn't work.

dot1dTpFdbTable OBJECT-TYPE SYNTAX SEQUENCE OF Dot1dTpFdbEntry ACCESS not-accessible STATUS mandatory DESCRIPTION "A table that contains information about unicast entries for which the bridge has forwarding and/or filtering information. This information is used by the transparent bridging function in determining how to propagate a received frame." ::= { dot1dTp 3 }

Reply to
anybody43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.