Cisco ip helper-address

Hi

I had pass the 4 CCNA curriculum sessions successfully and i'm not able to do something I think is basic.

I have to forward PPPoE Broadcast packets to my PPPoE server at 10.0.0.2 over my Cisco router.

I use the Cisco 851-K9 router and read on Cisco session 4 that the ip helper-address command forward the Broadcast packets to Unicast IP address.

So I've put in the int Vlan1 the command

ip helper-address 10.0.0.2

and that doesn't work.

I see something about the ip forward-protocol command but I think I missed something.

If someone can help me, It's will be appreciated.

Best Regards

Martin

Reply to
Martin Leduc
Loading thread data ...

ip helper-address only operates on UDP packets

Are PPPOE packets carried in UDP ?

Reply to
Merv

Suggest you take the time to understand the PPPOE protocol.

Take at look at the PPOE overview @

formatting link
Make sure you understand the payload contents i.e the various fields in the payload

Also make sure you understand the stages of a PPPOE session.

Reply to
Merv

Hi and thanks for your answer.

After your recommendation I read the PPPoE documentation:

formatting link
and the RFC

formatting link
I read on the page #2 in the RFC that the Ether_Type for the discovery stage is 0x8863 and the PPP session stage is 0x8864.

Nowhere they talk about the UDP Protocol and the PPPoE Broadcast.

I'm confuse

So I had try with ip forward-protocol any-local-broadcast, doesn't work.

I had enable the debug on the udp query, I dont see anything

I had enable the debug on all the query, very big mess to check

I'm sure that all ISP using the PPPoE user control use a complete routed network behind the PPPoE users sessions.

Otherwise, it's doesn't make sens.

Can you help me please?

Regards

Martin

"Merv" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Martin Leduc

formatting link

So by reading the RFC's you have confirmed that PPPOE does not use UDP

- that is correct.

Thus forget about the ip helper-address command as that is not the solution.

Is this an exercise or a question that is part of your CCNA curriculum or just something you are trying to figure out ?

ISP networks are definitely routed networks at least at the edge and typically these days label-switched in the core (MPLS).

The first sentence from

formatting link
"PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE) provides the ability to connect a network of hosts over a simple bridging access device to a remote Access Concentrator"

look very carefully at the sentence ...

layer 2 or layer 3 ???

Reply to
Merv

Layer 2.

mmmmmm......

In fact, this is not an exercice. I have to do it!

Sorry but what do you means in this sentence:

"label-switched in the core (MPLS)."

Regards

Martin

"Merv" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@o80g2000hse.googlegroups.com...

formatting link
>

Reply to
Martin Leduc

It is possible to talk with you out of these Forum?

Martin

"Merv" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@o80g2000hse.googlegroups.com...

formatting link
>

Reply to
Martin Leduc

Hey, my light are turn on now ....

New question

How can I bridge Cisco Interfaces? Put it in the same Vlan?? Specials Commands?

Regards

Martin

formatting link
>

Reply to
Martin Leduc

Hi and thanks for your light!!!!

formatting link
At the section Transparent Bridging I found this sentence

"Provides the ability to bridge over X.25, Frame Relay, Switched Multimegabit Data Service (SMDS), and Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) networks."

PPPoE, as I read in the Rfc doc is a part of PPP but only the transport frame is different.

I will try this Very, very, very best regards.

Mart>> Hi and thanks for your answer.

formatting link
>

Reply to
Martin Leduc

yes it needs to be bridged as there is no IP information in the PPOE Active Discovery packet

So are you trying to setup a PPPOE server in a production network ?

It will help responder if you provide all of the background information on what you need to accomplish.

Also take a look at RFC 3817 Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) Active Discovery Relay for PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE)

Reply to
Merv

Hi Merv,

Youre right and I will glad to give you all the background but not in the Forum.

Can I send you personal Email to your rogers Email address please?

Regards

Martin "Merv" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@50g2000hsm.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Martin Leduc

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.