Cisco 837 - Port fowarding question - Remote desktop

Here's my situation: At work I'm using remote desktop (port 3389) to get to home PC. My work firewall has most ports blocked on inside to outside. My

827 has the following commands: ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.1.7 3389 interface Dialer1 3389 access-list 111 permit tcp any any eq 3389

My only security is my username and password and the fact I'm using DynDNS which helps a little. Obviously I want to change the port to something obscure.

Here's the solution (that won't work in my case.)

From work; dynDNSname:34600

From home: ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.1.7 3389 interface Dialer1 34600 (unless I changed my remote desktop port at home to something other than 3389)

Yet this won't work because Dialer1 has to be at 3389 since the firewall at work blocks other ports and will only allow me to get out on 3389.

Aside from using secureCRT or something like that. Any ideas for a Cisco solution to this? Thanks.

Reply to
Marc
Loading thread data ...

How about 5190 (AIM), 1863 (MSN), or ports like that? If any of those services work from your office, you can use one of those ports, and I'd avoid the 'translation' and just move your Remote Desktop to the port via the registry change (I think I remember thats how you can change RD's port). That way you just connect on the port, and your RD accepts it. Otherwise, I'm not a guru on translating one port to a different port, and because the destination port is what your work firewall is blocking, you can't send it out to one port and receive it at home on a different port.

Reply to
Trendkill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.