Cisco 796xs SIP Backup proxy

Hi all, I have question about how the SIP backup proxy function works in Cisco handsets. Im using both 7960 and 7961G.

Im connecting them to 2 Asterisk servers (dont shoot me!!) and they work, very well, Asterisk1 is primary proxy and ASterisk 2 is backup proxy. I know that they are B2BUA not true SIP proxies, but Im not sure thatshould make any difference.

All handsets register to both Asterisk servers, they register to Asterisk1 first and a telnet or ssh to the phone and a "#show config" on the phones show that they are registered to the backup. Problem is that when i drop the ethernet on Asterisk1, the 7961s dont fail over to the backup.

I thought that the phones invite would be sufficient for the call to be placed out the backup, i see the udp to the backup and then the Invite and register, but the phone never actually initiates the call, only does the registration, over and over. I get the same problem using either model, so i dont think its IOS problem. Im think that it may only be possible with CCM,

Any clues or hints??

Any help here would be very much appreciated,

Cheers

Simon

Reply to
sim
Loading thread data ...

Just an idea (not an IPT Guru or anything - going on a CISCO IPT course soon) if Ethernet is pulled from server 1 say, will the phone work if you remove and re add the phone Ethernet, and also if you do a shut and no shut on the interface? If so maybe you can have a method for checking that the server is up, then maybe doing shut and then a no shut on the phone interface if it goes down?

Reply to
corb

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.