Cisco 1601-R w/ 2 IP blocks?

I have a Cisco 1601-R router. I have a primary static IP block from my ISP configured in the router. I am currently using all available IP's in the primary block. My ISP recently assigned me a second set of IP's for use. Is it possible to configure my router to accept IP addresses from 2 different IP blocks, or do I need a second router for this? Thanks. P.S. I'm a cisco newbie.

Reply to
cicalese
Loading thread data ...

Hello

1=2E is using NAT and option. Have you got servers or just workstations on the network ? NAT allows you to map private IPs in your internal network to the external block of IPs and can save you IP addresses. 2=2E I think all you need to do is add a static route on the router. If the new ip blocks are countinous to your old ip block you could just update the existing route.

do a "show ip route" and add a route to suite your existing route with your new ip addresses. Do this in enable mode.

Regards

Malt

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com =E5=AF=AB=E9=81=93=EF=BC=9A

Reply to
Malt

Malt

I'm not really familiar with NAT. The blocks are not continuous. I read this solution on a messageboard:

hostname(conf-if)# ip address 10.10.10.10 255.255.255.255 secondary

Supposedly, adding this to my config will get the second block up and running. Any truth to this?

Thanks

Malt wrote:

Reply to
cicalese

Geetings,

Just add the new network as a secondary range to the same interface. EG existing config - ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0 then just add the line ip address 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.0 secondary to the same interface and you are away.

Cheers.................pk.

Reply to
Peter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.