CEF and EIGRP

Hello all!

Sorry about my english. I'm trying to get CEF per-packet balancing to work with EIGRP in a lab network. I have two unequal routes I want to share packets (same source and destination). I have understood that CEF makes its decisions based on routing table and EIGRP only keeps successors in its routing table. It started to work when I added two static routes.

I see both routes in topology table. So is it possible to get CEF per-packet to work with EIGRP or should I do with static routes? The network I want to load balance to is 172.16.5.0.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------=

Reply to
t0100980
Loading thread data ...

Hello, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com! You wrote on 4 Apr 2005 07:03:59 -0700:

t> Sorry about my english. I'm trying to get CEF per-packet balancing t> to work with EIGRP in a lab network. I have two unequal routes I t> want to share packets (same source and destination). I have t> understood that CEF makes its decisions based on routing table and t> EIGRP only keeps successors in its routing table. It started to t> work when I added two static routes.

t> topology table:

t> P 172.16.5.0/24, 1 successors, FD is 2195456, serno 168 t> via 172.16.2.2 (2195456/281600), Serial1 t> via 172.16.1.2 (2733056/2221056), Serial0

I don't think it's going to work. 2221056 (reported distance through Serial 0) is more than 2195456 (feasible distance). From EIGRP point of view path through Serial 0 might be a loop. You have to have reported distance to be lower than feasible distance for both interfaces. Than you can play with variance to put both paths into routing table even if they have different cost.

With best regards, Andrey.

Reply to
Andrey Tarasov

If the routing table present multiple paths to CEF with the same or different share weights, CEF will build loadbalance objects in accordance with these weights, and use that for both per-packet and per-destination load balancing.

/Jesper

Reply to
Jesper Skriver

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.