Question about CEF - Cat65xx - IOS

Hi Group,

I just want to clarify something about CEF on the Supervisor 1 and 2A

For my understand on the SUP1 there is no CEF supportet this means all routet packets are going through the routing engine..and also is possible I can see with ip accounting all packets...

When I use SUP2 with enabled CEF (which is supported) only the first routed packet are going through the routing engine and the following packets are switched !? So this means I don't see ALL packets in this flow with "ip accounting" !?

Can anyone clarify this ? Is this right ?

thx dennis

Reply to
dennis
Loading thread data ...

Hi Dennis,

Yes and no. Yes, by default, your IP ACCOUNTING on the interface cannot see any flow beyond first packet, when IP CEF is enabled. On certain SUP/MSFC combinations with certain level of IOS, you can specify "IP CEF ACCOUNTING ..." command (see options with a "?") to report accounting for the flows. So, try it on your switches...

Good luck,

Mike CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc. CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)

------ Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

No. Only first packet in a flow goes through RP. Rest is switched by hardware. Keywords - MLS, RP, SP.

No. All packets switched in hardware - including first in every flow. Exception is some types of traffic are switched in software only.

Regards, Andrey.

Reply to
Andrey Tarasov

Is there a way to make sure that ALL packets are switched in software because it should be possible to count all packets on the SVI with "ip accounting" ?

dennis

Reply to
dennis

Probably. But what do you think will happen to performance?

Andrey.

Reply to
Andrey Tarasov

this what I don't know....so I need also informations to tell our customer if he like to work with "ip accounting" he should disable ip cef But as a result the performance decrease !?! Is this right ?

Dennis

Reply to
dennis

That sounds about right. The fully accounted equivilent is Netflow. There are free netflow analysis tools; I haven't used any so I cannot make any recommendations.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

it is not possible to disable CEF on a SUP720

Reply to
Merv

Hi

right now...is it also not possible to disable cef on a cat6509 with native IOS 12.1 E see below... ==================================================== cat6509(config)#no ip cef distri

%Cannot disable CEF on this platform

router03(config)#no ip cef ?

accounting Enable CEF accounting

distributed Distributed Cisco Express Forwarding

linecard CEF linecard commands

load-sharing Load sharing

table Set CEF forwarding table characteristics

traffic-statistics Enable collection of traffic statistics ===========================================

dennis

Reply to
dennis

sorry I forgot...it is a SUP2 with native IOS ...12.1(26)E

Reply to
dennis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.