Can't send break for PW recovery -- 2500's

We've got hold of a few old dinosaurs that will still be useful to us, some 2500's, some 4500's and a 2621. I've been able to send a break and go through the PW recovery sequence easily with some of them, but a two of them -- specially a 2514 I'm working with right now -- just won't see a break signal from TeraTerm, Hyperterm or half a dozen emulators from TuCows. Is there a physical way to get it to boot to rommon, jumper or short-across, something like that?

Thanks in advance,

Bob W.

Reply to
RoverDrover
Loading thread data ...

Not saying this is your answer, but when you're stuck, it rarely hurts to read another document.

The following document can be found on the Cisco web site:

Standard Break Key Sequence Combinations During Password Recovery Document ID: 12818

Best Regards, News Reader

RoverDrover wrote:

Reply to
News Reader

Thanks, News Reader. I did go get that list of break sequences, I'd forgotten they were there. But with both the 2514 and the 4500 I'm getting SOME response but not the right one. Here's what it looks like

Copyright (c) 1986-2003 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Sat 19-Jul-03 13:21 by cmong System Bootstrap, Version 5.2(8a), RELEASE SOFTWARE Copyright (c) 1986-1995 by cisco Systems

2500 processor with 8192 Kbytes of main memory

(I send break here)

Abort at 0x10EA81C (PC)

Exception: Jump to zero at 0x2244 (PC)

System Bootstrap, Version 5.2(8a), RELEASE SOFTWARE Copyright (c) 1986-1995 by cisco Systems

2500 processor with 8192 Kbytes of main memory

..... and then it goes ahead with a normal boot

Reply to
RoverDrover

Thats not what the document says to do for a 2500? They are old schoool.

Read this link.

formatting link

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Thanks Doug. That was exactly what I needed. When it didn't say rommon> I thought it hadn't responded to the break. > o/r 0x2141 got me right in. Appreciate the quick help.

Reply to
RoverDrover

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.