building a home network around a cisco 1003 router

Greetings everyone, I am somewhat inexperienced with routers,but I have collected masses of Cisco resource material,have an electronics/communications background,and am confident of achieving a successful outcome. But,I don't know Cisco and am hoping for advice.My internet is an ISDN

128kb DVO connection via a modem that connects to a copper pair at its U interface,has a USB interface to the PC,has an S bus RJ-45 interface(is this the same as an S/T interface?),and two analogue outputs for two phones. I have a Cisco 1003 router with the following setup:
  • 4MB FLASH (SM9FLA4MP320C) Card Installed
  • Cisco IOS Feature Set - SF1005C4-11.1.8
  • Image - c1000-y-mz. 11.2.(3) I want to connect NT1+2 modem--->1003 router--->ethernet switch---
wireless access point & wired PC.

Is this feasible?Is there a config that will do this? Went to Cisco to find details on feature set,but no longer supported.

Reply to
encinomaan
Loading thread data ...

Wow, a cisco 1003 eh? I haven't seen those in a long time.

One thing that you should realize is that in all the true cisco IOS based routers, configs are nearly identical across the whole product line. You can take your config for one of the smallest old-school routers cisco ever made, and if you found one of the largest that still took BRI ports, the config would go in with only minor tweaks for port numbering scheme differences, and/or config lines that changed over time.

If you dig up an old ISDN config for cisco *something*, it'll most likely work fine as long as it doesn't use newer features than what your IOS rev has. (one example might be 'ip address dhcp' to obtain an IP address via DHCP for an interface. Thats a relatively new feature, long after a 1003 would have been out).

You can dig up all of Cisco's old docs no problem.

Here's the 1003 router user Guide.

formatting link
Chop off a few components of the URL and you'll get some more of the

1000 series specific docs.

And you can still get IOS 11.1 docs too.

formatting link
As I said, IOS for any cisco router is the same across the whole line. The most changes are in the different interfaces each router can have.

You could also search on cisco's site for ISDN configs, and most likely get something just like you want to do.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Yes it's feasible. You should be able to plug the S-bus RJ-45 interface into the S/T interface on the 1003. You need to plug a hub/ switch into the ethernet port on the router and connect your PCs to the hub/switch. If you have only one PC and plan to connect it directly to the 1003 you'll need to use a cross-over cable.

Check out:

formatting link

Reply to
Brad

Not sure what's on the other end of your ISDN, here is a config I still had around for a 1003 we used. It connected to another Cisco

The main things we needed to get right was the ISDN Switch Type, SPID Format and the number of Digits to dial to get to the other end.

Hope this help. Need another 1003? How about a 1004, or a 4000 or a 2501 or? (-;

Scott 128kb DVO connection via a modem that connects to a copper pair at its

Reply to
Scott Townsend

quoted text -

thank you one and all

Reply to
encinomaan

The fact that he has a 1003 leads me to believe he's outside the North America in which case the SPIDs are irrelevant.

Reply to
Brad

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.