basic vlan pix 6.3 question

hi, i've been playing around with vlans. i simply configured a vlan with an adress range, that's not i use yet.

"interface intf3 vlan3 logical"

it seems to work: interface vlan3 "intf3" is up, line protocol is up Hardware is i82559 ethernet, address is 0002.b3ec.4ce8 IP address 192.168.100.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit half duplex 0 packets input, 0 bytes 1 packets output, 46 bytes

i attached a laptop to the physical if and configured my nic in the same subnet, allowed telnet from that host.

i can not ping, telnet or anything to the pix. i do debug, capture , logg via console and don't see a single packet arriving at the pix.

any ideas

Reply to
sillymartin
Loading thread data ...

That's correct. The PIX expects any packet coming to the interfacec intf3 to be tagged accordingly to 802.1q protocol. Basically you can think about the intf3 of the PIX like a trunking port of a switch

I don't think your laptop can manage trunk link on its interface. Maybe some linux boxes with specific software/kernel options.

So take out a switch with trunking ports and connect that port to intf3.

HTH Alex.

Reply to
AM

i got a catalyst 3550 here , i know it supports vlan tagging and trunking but : what do I need to configure on that port? how do i do it?

yeah , i've heard of google :-) but some hints would be nice

thanks a lot

Reply to
sillymartin

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com schrieb:

allright, figured it out: between pix and switch switchport trunk mode with dot1q encapsulation,allow vlan 3 between switch and laptop switchport access mode

S
Reply to
sillymartin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.