Any CISCO WIFI access points work 100% with Ipad2?

There is a widespread compatibility issue with wifi, caused by Apple having broken the old "standards". For example some of their stuff requests DHCP every 10 seconds or so. There is a ~90 page thread on the Apple forums about this, with no solutions...

I would like to buy an AP which just works...

A lot of the Cisco gear is very pricey though - $400 plus for a simple AP and it isn't clear what one is getting for that. The Linksys range is a lot better and I wonder if e.g. the WAP4410N will work OK?

Apple's own wifi APs ought to work but they don't have web browser admin! You have to run their config software, which is stupid.

Netgear and Draytek especially are having many problems with this.

Many thanks for any input.

Reply to
Peter
Loading thread data ...

Peter schrieb:

Define 100% working. There are issues *NO* AP can workaround, because iOS is kindof broken on Apple's side. Transparent roaming isn't working. Apple's iDevices were never designed with enterprise class networks in mind.

Else everything which is real Cisco (not the former Linksys...) works. Even with iDevices. Both standalone or controller based LWAPP/CAPWAPP

Reply to
Uli Link

One thing you may not realize is that Cisco's gear is built for Enterprises, and thus their AP's don't have built in routers like almost everything else you mention. Those are separate items in the Cisco world, which is what enterprise networks are wanting.

Apple doesn't break too many things. They do head scratching things like using their DHCP leases beyond their lease period, so you have to over provision DHCP pools with Apple devices, assuming to have one-to-one IP addresses for them and no IP reuse.

Cisco gear is built to be always up. Most consumer level gear is not, compromising that for price. I can run my Cisco AP's for years uptime if I so choose.

What's so different about running an app in a web browser vs. running an app on a machine if they do the same thing in the end? Its not like you need to reconfigure things once they are installed?

Most of Cisco's wireless efforts lately have been with wifi controllers, which makes the APs all lightweight and you don't even configure the APs per-se either. It happens back at the controller. But the controllers are probably out of your price range.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

We're running an Enterprise environment, Controllers and APs, with iPhones = (3/4/4S), iPads (2), Androids (pretty much all of them - Phones & Tablets),= and very few issues. The DHCP issue I didn't about researching, but yeah w= e saw that one, and extended the range, we had space. Problem with too many= owners of too many different systems. DHCP belongs to another division...

Anyway, works well for us.

My Cisco 887W at home is ANOTHER STORY all together. What a mare that is. M= ost of my wireless devices struggle with it now that I think about it. Prob= ably my lack of time to sort out those issues, but it is not easy I must ad= mit, and very tempermental.=20

I'd probably stick with a Linksys if you are after ease of use and budget f= ocussed. Cisco kinda, and cheaper. :)

Reply to
Richard Westby-Nunn

The subject refers to access points, the body refers to access points. Where did you get the idea he's asking for a combined router and AP?

I'm sure it's rhetorical question, but you skip the step of having to install some custom application to manage the access point. Not only is it easier not to have to do this, but it may not even be possible if Apple don't care to release the application for the platform you're using.

You what?

Reply to
alexd

Because of the level of questions he is asking, and the devices he is giving as examples. Also because in talking to 100's of my customers in a row, they all say Access-Point, when they mean AP + Router combined device. If I went into their place-of-business to install an access-point, they'd all be confused until I explained for a few hours of what they got. They also all say DSL Modem when it is really a DSL router.

The tech world has very sloppy nomenclature, you have to read what they are meaning, not what they say.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Are we talking about the same post? He gave precisely one example device, WAP4410N, and it's an access point.

Reply to
alexd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.