ACL and PIX.

Is it true that the behavior of an ACL differs by a bit between PIX a routers.

I can seen on my PIX 6.3(4) that I need to apply the ACL with the command "access-group" for the ACL to take effect. In this way I can modify the ACL the way I like without taking care of the traffic flowing through the device. I always modified ACLs using PDM but now I need to use CLI.

Could you confirm that?

Alex.

Reply to
AM
Loading thread data ...

You still need to apply the acl to an interface with the pix.

access-group in interface outside

or

access-group in interface inside (or dmz or whatever)

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

You have a couple of choices in modifyng an acl in the PIX through cli.

-First you create a new one then you apply it with the command access-group. The advantage is that you keep a copy of your old one and you can undo your changes easily with the access-group command. And if you make mistakes when creating the new one, you want screw up anything since it's not effective until you activate it with the access-group command . I would say it's the beginners choice.

- One other way is to make changes live in the acl without bothering with the access-group command. To do that , first do a sh [acl]

Ex: sh a-in

access-list a-in line 1 permit tcp host 10.220.56.146 any eq smtp (hitcnt=66921) access-list a-in line 2 deny tcp any any eq smtp (hitcnt=560) access-list a-in line 3 permit ip 10.220.56.0 255.255.248.0 any (hitcnt=2175310) access-list a-in line 4 deny ip any any (hitcnt=0)

You can see you now have the line # parameter appearing .

To delete a single line you have to "no" the line including the line #

Ex: if i do no access-list a-in line 2 deny tcp any any eq smtp ( you have to specify the whole line , "no access-list a-in line 2" , would do nothing)

then i get sh a-in access-list a-in line 1 permit tcp host 10.220.56.146 any eq smtp (hitcnt=66921) access-list a-in line 2 permit ip 10.220.56.0 255.255.248.0 any (hitcnt=2175310) access-list a-in line 3 deny ip any any (hitcnt=0

To insert a line just add the line # where you want to insert it

access-list a-in line 3 deny tcp any any eq smtp and i now have access-list a-in line 1 permit tcp host 10.220.56.146 any eq smtp (hitcnt=66921) access-list a-in line 2 permit ip 10.220.56.0 255.255.248.0 any (hitcnt=2175310) access-list a-in line 3 deny tcp any any eq smtp (hitcnt=0) access-list a-in line 4deny ip any any (hitcnt=0

Changes will be effective immediately

-The third way is to use object-groups . For example i could create a group for smtp servers

object-group network n_SMTPSERVERS network-object host 10.220.56.146

access-list a-in permit tcp object-group network n_SMTPSERVERS any eq smtp

If i want to add permission for another smtp server i would just need to add it in the object-group without modifying the acl. ex: object-group network n_SMTPSERVERS network-object host 10.220.56.200

Changes will also be effective immediately

If yua have a lot of changes to do, you will probably end up doing a bit of all those techniques...

Reply to
mcaissie

I don't think so on the fact that PDM always perform the command "access-group" after having changed the ACL. Maybe is an over work to be sure that the new ACL applies to the interface where it already worked but it behaves so.

Alex.

Reply to
AM

If you modify an existing acl then it is already bound to the interface so you don't need to do it again. I usually do as mcaisse suggested, either insert or delete lines using the line numbers or create rules with object groups and then just add items to the groups. It has immediate effect. You don't need to re-apply it.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

However, if you modify an ACL that happens to define a crypto map, then at least through PIX 6.x, you may (likely will) get strange behaviour until you "clear ipsec sa".

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Very true Walter. Good point.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

there's more. i noticed today in 63.(4) that in a running pix if you remove the acl with the "clear access-list" command you need, after regenerating the acl, to reapply the "access-group" vecause the "clear access-list" removes not only the access list by the access-group also.

This is VERY different from IOS where you can remove an acl and regenerate it from scratch WITHOUT the need to reapply that to the interfaces.

bye Andrea

Reply to
Andrea Borghi

Yes, that is correct. You also have to be careful about removing the ACL used for a crypto map, as the corresponding line will be removed automatically and a partial crypto-map will result. partial crypto-maps may act oddly, including [if I recall the documentation correctly] matching -all- traffic :(

Essentially, if you remove an access-list, the PIX will automatically delete all lines that reference the access-list. Sometimes it is smart enough to refuse to allow you to remove the list while there are still references.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.