accessing the device

i just got a 501 the other day, and I'm having some trouble accessing it. I dont have a connection cable, (serial/eth), so I figure I can go in via crossover and the outside interface. is this feasable? a colleague of mine told me that the PIX has a default IP of

192.168.1.1, but I of course cannot ping it when I assign my laptop an address in that network range. I'm assuming by default the PIX has icmp turned off which is ok. basically my question is, without the connection serial/eth cable, how do you access the pix? thanks for any help
Reply to
Brent E. Chambers
Loading thread data ...

If you've connected your computer to the interface as you describe, after you pinging the IP address (and failing), check your computer's ARP table with the command: arp -a If it shows that IP address with a valid MAC address, then you've got IP configured close enough to communicate to it.

HOWEVER, you'll probably have better luck on the inside (trusted) interface than the outside (untrusted) one.

The bottom line is, if you don't have the password, can't crack it, and don't have a serial cable, then your SOL. My advice is to get yourself a Cisco serial cable - you can usually find them listed on eBay starting around $0.01. Once you've got that, perform the password recovery procedure on it - found here:

formatting link
Good Luck JC

Reply to
J.Cottingim

Thanks JC. I wound up getting a serial cable from my buddy that goes to DeVry. Now I just have to learn how to configure the damn thing. Thanks again!

Reply to
Brent E. Chambers

take a look at "Getting Started with the Cisco PIX Firewall"

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.