A nightmare of two switches

I have two colo cabinets with a couple of crossconnects running between them. In one, I have two 2970s. In the other, a piece of crap Netgear and a 2950 that was never configured.

I started seeing some weird ARP broadcasts and IP addresses in a subnet I do not use. It's coming from the crossover that goes to the Netgear. So, I thought i'd replace that Netgear with another 2970. I configured it, plugged it in, let IOS boot, and moved everything from the Netgear to the Cisco... and all hell broke loose. Oops, VLAN mismatch warnings, and no traffic. I put every port on this new 2970 into the same VLAN as the one I'm dealing with on the other side. Still no go. So I configure one port on each as a trunk using ISL. That worked with a cable dragged across the floor, but when I went back to the crossconnect, it just never worked. The link light did change from orange to green, but no traffic ever crossed it.

The long cable I was using is a crossover, if that makes any difference.

I gotta go back in later tonight and try again, when there isn't as much traffic on the network. Holy God, a minute takes about 18 years when your pager and phone are ringing off the hook! :-) Other than the ~15 seconds it takes for the ports on the 2970 to synch up... what other gotchas are there in repacing a switch like this? Should I clear the ARP tables on both sides as well?

Reply to
John Oliver
Loading thread data ...

cross over cable is correct, ensure ports are set to trunking and yes definately clear your arps..

is there comm. between two devices on the same switch?? is the fault only between the two switches?

Flamer.

John Oliver wrote:

Reply to
die.spam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.