3560 shaping

We have a lot of 3550 switches, and we use these for customer access ports. We use QoS service policies to shape traffic on the access ports from 2Mbit to 50 Mbit. Unfortunately the 3550 is end of sale, and we have recently bought a couple of 3560.

On the 3650 it's not possible to set "service-policy output" statements on the interfaces. The only thing I can find is "ssr-queue" statements which can limit access ports from 10-90% of it's total speed. Is this really the best way to shape traffic on 3560 switches?

Thanks! Thomas V=E5dahl

Reply to
Trollmann
Loading thread data ...

That does not sound right; you should be able to attach service policies to interfaces on the 3560. See, for instance

formatting link
Did you remember to configure "mls qos" before trying to attach the service policy?

Cisco da Gama

formatting link

Reply to
ciscodagama

Cisco Da Gama,

Thanks for your reply. I've read that documentation, and I admit don't understand all of it myself, but if you read the QoS statements carefully, you'll notice that there are no "service-policy output" statements. "service-policy input" is repeated over and over. Alas, you can attach input (or ingress if you like) service policies, but not output (egress). This is generally a Bad Thing (tm), as this allowes us to shape traffic coming from our customers (their output) but not traffic going to our customers (their input)... :-S

I keep asking myself why Cisco has done this - why change someting that works perfectly fine with the 3550? Did they miss something with the

3560, or is it just me not understanding the fabulous new possibilities? :-)

Thanks, Thomas V=E5dahl

Reply to
Trollmann

Cisco Da Gama,

Thanks for your reply. I've read that documentation, and I admit don't understand all of it myself, but if you read the QoS statements carefully, you'll notice that there are no "service-policy output" statements. "service-policy input" is repeated over and over. Alas, you can attach input (or ingress if you like) service policies, but not output (egress). This is generally a Bad Thing (tm), as this allowes us to shape traffic coming from our customers (their output) but not traffic going to our customers (their input)... :-S

I keep asking myself why Cisco has done this - why change someting that works perfectly fine with the 3550? Did they miss something with the

3560, or is it just me not understanding the fabulous new possibilities? :-)

Thanks, Thomas V=E5dahl

Reply to
Trollmann

You should be able to configure output service policies also. It looks like you have exceeded the allowed bandwidth for the interface where you are trying to apply the policy with your bandwidth statements in the policy.

The following link seems to address your issue exactly -

formatting link
Cisco da Gama
formatting link

Reply to
ciscodagama

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.