2600 replacement?

What is the successor to the cisco 2600 series routers ? I assume it's the 2800 series.

We need a basic router with serial interface for x.21 (wic-1t) capable of supporting E1 circuit, with basic static routing capability, and is rack-mountable. We'll select the 2801 if it is the successor to the 2600 series.

-- Michael

Reply to
Michael Pye
Loading thread data ...

2801 is the entry level. 18xx would be ok apart from rack mounting.

if you need a net module slot then you need at least the 2811.

2801 should be more than good enough for 1 * E1
Reply to
stephen

Hi Michael,

You may wish to investigate the Cisco Product Advisor:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Power Supply Headquarters

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Cisco Jobs
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

I would recommend skipping the 2801 and stepping up to the 2811. The cost difference is only $200-300 but the capabilities are worth it.

The 2801 ships with 128MB of DRAM and supports a maximum of 384. As always the low-end device in any product line is inevitably unable to upgrade to the latest greatest code after a few years for no reason other than a RAM shortage. In 4 years when we have a new product line out you'll still have that 2801 but are perhaps using it for another purpose. You'll want to upgrade it to support a new feature and will find that the new code requires a minimum of 512MB of RAM. You'll be SOL. That's just the way it always works. The 2811 ships with 256MB and can take up to 760MB.

On top of that the 2811 supports the use of a RPS and direct DC input if you need redundant power or if you need an alternate power source.

The 2811 gives you 4 fully-functional xWIC ports whereas the 2 of the

2801's ports are limited. One is for voice WICs only. The other removes support for HWICs. The 2811 has not such limitation and it also gives you many more upgrades options with the NM slot.

Basically you get a lot more bang for the buck with the 2811. The cost difference is marginal and well worth it. I wish Cisco would stop selling the 2801 to keep people from buying it. We, as a Cisco Partner, don't even suggest the 2801 as an option. We go straight to the 2811. I can think of a couple of cases where that was a major benefit to the customer when their needs changed a few months after deployment and they used their NM slot to meet the new requirements.

J
Reply to
J

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.