What do u think of these 10 certifications?

Hi guys,

British Columbia Institute of Technology(BCIT) is offering a joint program in patnership with University of British Columbia(UBC). The program name is Network Administration and Security Professional (NASP).

The very impressive (for me amazing) thing of the program is that they are covering 10 certifications in just 10 months. Here are the certs:

• CompTIA A+ Core Hardware Certification exam; * CompTIA A+ Operating system Technologies Certification exam; * CompTIA Network+ Certification exam; * CompTIA Security+ Certification exam; * Microsoft Exam 70-270: Installing, Configuring, and Administering * Microsoft Windows XP Professional * Microsoft Exam 70-290: Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment; * Microsoft Exam 70-291: Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a * Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure; * Microsoft Exam 70-299: Implementing and Administering Security in a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network; and * The Linux Professional Institute Junior Level Administration (LPIC -1 exam); and * The Linux Professional Institute Intermediate Administration (LPIC-2) Certification exams.

I have few questions regarding this program.

Do u think:

1. Student will be able to write/pass these 10 certs in 10 months?
  2. After geting these 10 certs on CV, job chances will be higher than before?
  3. These 10 certs are in-demand IT certification in general and in particular to the Canadian market?

Any feedback will be highly appreciated.

Bye, Viki.

Reply to
viki.sanjeeva
Loading thread data ...

It's ten exams, but six certifications.

MCSA::Windows Server 2003 A+, Network+, Security+ Junior Level Administration, Intermediate Level Administration

For an entry-level networking position, I look for a minimum of a CCNA, JNCIA, or Network+ along with a 4-year degree (or 4 years experience). Then I look at the quality of your previous work. Did you get experience on real routers? Did your degree include networking classes? At that point you qualify for a technical interview and your attitude and actual knowledge become the most important things.

MCSA, L>Hi guys,

Reply to
hb350001

I forgot to answer your questions. ;)

6 certifications. 4 weeks/exam is probably fine if you're new to IT.

For a networking position, passing network+ definitely raises your chances. Passing security+ raises them slightly. The others, no help.

Network+ is good, though I give CCNA or JNCIA slightly more weight.

If you like networking, skip these courses. Get a CCNA book from Cisco Press or Sybex for $50 and rent some router racktime or buy a router simulator. You'll be done in one month instead of ten months and just about as employable for a networking position either way.

Reply to
hb350001
1) Will you pass the Cert exams? Yes. Will you know all this stuff instide out? No 2) If two people with no experience turn up for a job interview and one has certs and the other doesn't then I'd employ the latter. 3) The value of these certs depend on what you want to do:

A+ is how to put boxes together. Forget it unless you want an assembly job in the backroom of a whitebox PC shop.

Microsoft exams are only relevant if you are planning a windows oriented career. Not useful in networking at all.

Network+ and Security+ have about a 50% overlap. Entry level non-vendor specific certs. Good startling point if you have a CISSP.

I've never heard anybody asks for any Linux cert except for the RHCE. This is probably the second most difficult exam after the CCIE as its really the only other one out there that tests your hands-on ability. (Disclaimer - I know nothing about Juniper certs, so there may be others). Again, its only relevant if you want to do Linux stuff.

I agree with the poster. Work out how much money you'd spend on these certs, and instead spend the money on two or three routers, a Cat 2950 switch (EI if you can get it), a handfull of ethernet and serial cables and the following books:

CCNA Certification Library (exam #640-801) By Wendell Odom CCNA Practical Studies By Gary Heap, Lynn Maynes. CCDA Self-Study: Designing for Cisco Internetwork Solutions (DESGN)

640-861 by Diane Teare CCDA/CCDP Flash Cards and Exam Practice Pack by Anthony Sequeira, Kevin Wallace.

Go and pass CCNA and CCDA, giving you entry level certs in network design and implementation. The second of these is the differentator.

Reply to
yamahasw40

I wouldn't say that. I've seen to many network techs and admins who didn't have a clue how PCs work, except in terms of their CCNA or MCSE coverage. Helps tremendously when you can troubleshoot hardware. In networking, you often have to exlplicitly tell HelpDesk folks what is wrong with the PC before they'll believe it's not the network at fault.

Unless you work in a network where you deal with Windows admins who think "The Network" is the cause of all their troubles.

Don't know. Haven't seen the curriculum.

The CCNA is what I'd consider as a minimum level of knowledge for a networking job. I think the CCDA looks a little too vague to be much use by itself.

While the above non-Cisco certs aren't really needed, knowledge of the material covered is invaluable when you are going to be dealing with other non-Cisco IT people.

Reply to
tcollicutt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.