STP root switch question

Folks: I have a fairly simple network, with a potential for growth and hence the need for proper STP configuratoin. I'm trying to understand the worse case scenario for a misconfigured "root" switch. I understand that I can force the root switch to be the core switch by changing the priority and also understand the use root gaurd protection and other techniques.

Here is what my network looks like:

Switch (M) Core switch and also desired STP root, VLAN 20,30,40 ) / | \\ switch A(VLAN 20) switchB (VLAN 20) switch C (VLAN 30)

Now it turns out that becuase of lower MAC ID, switch A become my root for VLAN 20.

Here is what my STP diagram looks like for VLAN 20.

Switch A (root) DP | RP Switch M (Core) DP | RP Switch B

Questions:

1. Things seem to be working with switch A as the root switch. Where should I look for spanning tree misconfiguration/bottlenecks?
  2. What is the worse case scenario with having switch A as the STP root?

-JC

Reply to
John Carter
Loading thread data ...

What kind of sw's are they? COmmands differ between model IOS etc... Sw a as soot may be fine, but if STP probems happen (if or when)then it's nice to KNOW where STP is starting from, and you arent chasing down loops in other places.

John Carter wrote:

Reply to
jw

The reason you don't want to make switch A the root for VLAN 20, is that switch M would still be the root for VLAN 30,40. Having two roots would make the LAN needlessly complex. Also, anytime switch A goes down, VLAN 20's elected root bridge would change.

From a performance perspective, if switch M is root, there will be fewer stp recalculati>Folks:

Reply to
hb350001

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.