Newbie help please!

Hello- I have been studying the 1st semester of CCNA at my local college, I have now passed this and am starting semester 2. I intend to finish the whole course, even if it kills me! my question is- Is there a vast shortage of network engineers?,not just in the UK but worldwide?, my tutor often speaks about this shortage and says that with all the lab experience you gain in college, employers are more ready to take you on. Is this true? ofr would I be better off just buying myself the next chapters books and investing in a router/switch,etc. Each semester costs 320 pounds. TIA. btw great group, have learnt alot lurking :-)

Reply to
greg johnstone
Loading thread data ...

I have found in my job searching that salaries are going up. That tends to be a good indicator of job growth. As for any shortage, what usually happens is that everyone hears about the shortage and runs for it. Next thing you know there's a surplus of Network Engineers and salaries go down and certifications become worthless. Look what happened to the MCSE. I have seen help desk jobs where they expect the applicants to have MCSE. Anyways, that's just my two cents. And with that comes my caveat...Yes that is American money. This is how things look in America, I take no responsibility for the difference in conditions "across the pond."

Ari W. ari_winokur at comcast dot net amtechnical.selfip.com

Reply to
ari_winokur

well it all depends on the individual. i personally feel buying the books and building yourself a little lab is worth it in the long run. after you are done with the course, what do u have left? the books, thats about it. The lab (which u can get good prices on ebay) will last you a few years.

Reply to
June03

Thanks for all your input chaps..will take it all in.

Reply to
greg johnstone

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.